Tuesday 31 January 2012

100 things...places to read

NEW YORK:

1. Subway or Bus - with no car, most of my transport is via public transportation (or foot but I don't read while I walk) and I do quite a bit of my daily reading while I zip around the city on buses and subways. The mass transit system in Manhattan can seem overwhelming but it is an affordable way to get most place across the 5 boroughs and there is some great people-watching to boot. Hopstop.com is a great resource to help navigate the city via public transport


2. Central Park - The Park is really a jewel in the city and a must-see if you come to NYC. All that wide open green space in the midst of the concrete jungle is a sight not tbe missed. CP is big and there are lots of places to read in there but one of my favs is Sheep Meadow - I have whiled away many a summer afternoon with book there soaking up the sun!
3. Border's Columbus Circle - Ok - Border's Bookstore is available in most cities but I like this location for a few reasons - its on an upper floor of the Time Warner Center overlooking Central Park (cool location - central to a lot of things in the city), there are comfy chairs scattered about and there is a cafe in there with gourmet snacks, sandwiches etc from the gourmet shop Dean and Deluca - yummy treats while you read - what more can one ask for?
4. Housing Works Bookstore Cafe - Housing Works is the largest community-based AIDS service organization in the United States and they provide lifesaving services, such as housing, medical and mental health care, meals, job training, drug treatment, HIV prevention education, and social support to more than 20,000 homeless and low-income New Yorkers living with HIV and AIDS. This cafe/ used book store is one of the ways they raise the money they need to do all this great work - and its a great used bookstore and place to hang while you read to boot!
5. Bryant Park - a Park with its own blog - wow! But that, of course, is not why I like Bryant Park as a great reading locale. It a small, manageable with seating scattered about and its location behind the Main Branch of the NY Public Library (see below)makes it an ideal place to sit with a book and a sunny afternoon.
6. New York Public Library - Main Branch - the main branch of the NYPL is a landmark building and certainly a sight in it's own right. There are reading rooms throughout the library where you can relax with a good book and just surround yourself with literature. There are even docent-led tours if you want to explore the history and architechture of the building.
7. Tea Lounge - this is a great little cafe/tea shop/lounge in the Park Slope neighborhood of Brooklyn. They have a lovely tea/coffee bar where they serve organic coffees and also a real bar with wine, cocktails and beer, including the local Brooklyn Lager and salads, sandwiches and treats from the cafe. There are lots of comfy couches to sit and read or listen to the live music that is often there in the evening.

8. 'Snice - another great cafe (I see a theme developing here) that is totally open to letting you stay awhile - perfect for reader looking for a perch and something to eat and drink. This cafe's specialty is vegetarian eats.
9. Columbia University - this campus is an oasis of lush lawns amidst the hustle and bustle of the city. There are 25 libraries across campus and lots of places both indoors and out to nestle in with a good book.
10. Orchard House Cafe - this is really my neighborhood favorite. This coffee shop is about 3 blocks from my apartment and is a great place to sit and read and enjoy a really good cup of coffee and a lite bite. They actually have a few bookshelves scattered about where patrons leave books for others to read or pick-up. I have spent many an afternoon in there catching up with my latest book.

source:http://booksnyc.blogspot.com/2010/02/10-great-places-to-read-in-nyc.html

In the park: When there is sun out there and the temperatures are acceptable, I love to just go out and sit on a bench or on the grass in the park. There is nothing better than sitting in the sun and reading a good book. Living in London gives me the opportunity to do this quite often because of all the beautiful parks around. Especially since we started experiencing the first signs of spring I have been sitting in a park during my lunch break, after work or during the day on the weekend.
In the train/airplane: When I am travelling I always have a book with me no matter how short the journey is. Time passes a thousand times quicker when you are reading a great story! And on top of that it is a great way of using this time in which you can not do much more anyway.
In my bed on a rainy day: When the weather is horrible outside with lots of rain, wind and a grey sky, I make myself a cup of tea and get under my duvet in my bed. When I am reading a good book I am able to forget the grey world around me.
In a café: My most favourite café is the Foyles Café in London which belongs to the Foyles bookstore. There are so many other people around who are reading, the food and the drinks are really good, there is a constant smell of coffee around. The only downside: I seem not to be the only one who likes this place because there is no guarantee that you get a place when you go there.
At the beach: When I am on a beach holiday I sometimes lie around in the sand for hours completely absorbed by my book not thinking of the world surrounding me at all. And if I do take a break there is always the great view of the ocean in front of me…

source: http://booksaroundtheworld.wordpress.com/2011/04/14/my-favourite-places-to-read/

No comments:

Post a Comment