Thursday 16 January 2014

CoP: Evaulation

What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?

In this module one of the skills I have developed is research. I have been able to use a wide range of sources for my dissertation and practical to get a greater understanding of Ikea's brand and also theories. The research I have found in the past hasn't always been relevant or focused whereas this year I was able to filter down sources to find direct things I was looking for. I used the advice given by the library in a lecture to do this. This included checking the index in books for key words, doing a detailed search on the database and going beyond our libraries sources. Due to a more focused approach I got more relevant research to my title and a wider range of different types of research which really helped expand my knowledge on the topic. Another skill that stemmed from this was evaluating and understanding my research. As I had a clear view on the subject and the theory that applied to what I was asking I could strategically critic in my written piece with a clear vision and aim of what I wanted to say. This skill was enhanced by weekly sessions with a dyslexic tutor and therefore I could apply it more effectively with the guidance. This again led to another new skill, it helped me gain synergy between theory and practice. As I had extensive focussed research and knowledge on the topic I was able to create an advertising campaign that was both appropriate commercially and theoretically. This is demonstrated in the practical element as on a front basis it works directly as an advertising campaign which works an extension to it's already existing one but also has consumerism and identity theory applied in which how it works to attract customers. The concept has used the tactics ikea use to sell the idea of home found in my essay through using a narrative, persona and swedish identity.

What approaches to methods of design production have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?

My approach of method in this module is completely different to how I have approached it in the past. After looking into advertising campaigns I found a very useful system in which to approach a concept. This led me to create a concept strategy table where I broke down the various ways in which I could promote Ikea through pinpointing different selling points. By thinking in this way I was able to really focus my concepts to say a particular thing, making it much stronger and direct. This has really informed my development process as it's given me a clear process to follow to narrow the direction of my concepts. The other approach that has developed is the art direction I have took to produce this campaign. Normally it would be a digitally created visual but this time I used initiative to go outside my comfort zone to use photography. This was appropriate to the brand as they always use photographic imagery in there advertising and printed material due to the nature of the products. It was important therefore to maintain this as the style so it worked for the brand. I conducted my own photo shoots which was a whole new experience and way of working which I enjoyed as it expanded my practice to new methods. This new approach had synergy with my future aspirations in my practice as I look to try lots of different media in creating imagery for my ideas and want to focus more on art direction. This has informed my design development process as I now no the things involved in planning out a shoot, how timing and organisation is key in getting the right shot whilst you have everything in place and positioning is key to clear communication of the message.

What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?

Due to the new skills and methods I have learnt through this module my main skill has been synergy between theory and practice. Due to my focussed research methods and application to conceptual designs through the use of photography my theory and practical elements compliment each other. My essay informs my decisions in the practical piece and in return the practical demonstrates the theories being discussed in the written element. This has meant I have been able to capitalise on this throughout the progress of the two different parts, as they have helped influence each other and caused development in discussion and design. Another strength is the approach to the ad campaign as it was a difficult brand to manufacture a concept for that was practically possible. The brands focus is usually on large narrative set ups showing big pieces of furniture. This wasn't a realistic approach for me to go down so I had to think of a way in which I could still show there consumer message and tactics and it still be appropriate to the brands campaign and company. I capitalised on the primary research I undertook and came up with an idea that worked. Now in the future I no that by going an experiencing the brand could help bring new idea generation. By using my research I can strengthen my concepts and come up with innovative ideas.


What weaknesses can you identify in your and work and how will you address these in the future?

The weakness identified in this piece of work is the photography. As it was a new method of production I was trying I didn't have much experience in using a camera professionally or applying the correct settings for the type of lighting I had. This caused limitations in the appearance of my images and meant there was probably a lot more time spent than what would of been if I had more knowledge of what I was doing. Another weakness was then the editing of photos. I have very little knowledge of photoshop due to most of my other work using different software and not involving photos. This meant that my editing capabilities where then limited and issues with the photos from the lack of camera knowledge couldn't be reworked as much as they potentially could of. To address this in the future I will either ask for help from the tech team at the college for photography and software or I will collaborate with people who's skills lie in the different fields rather than attempting to do it all myself and concentrate on my skills, utilising there experience.


Identify 5 things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from these?

1. Organised to photograph at home before and then pre booked lighting equipment - this will mean my photographs will be a better quality
2. Test print my final boards before the professional print - I can see how the layout overlay each other and colours come out on the different stocks
3. Push the campaign further - stronger and more development applications
4. Ask advice on software and cameras - gain a better understanding of the equipments tools and options
5. I would plan out and organise my practical and written elements really thinking through the time it'll take to undertake different tasks - a schedule will mean that if things were to go wrong I would have more time to rectify the issues

Attendance - 5
Punctuality - 5
Motivation - 3
Commitment - 3
Quantity or work produced - 4
Quality of work produced - 3
Contribution to the group - 4

No comments:

Post a Comment