Tuesday 22 October 2013

CoP: Chat with Richard

As i've been struggling with finding theory for my dissertation I went and spoke to Richard.


  • Look at consumerism and consumption
  • journal articles will be helpful
  • hyperreality and retail stores
  • panoptocism - order which makes you shop more
  • Focault
  • brand image - showing connotations - adapt the brand
  • books on branding
  • Kirsty Fruin - dissertation / biblography
  • retail design and shopping - books
  • email interior design tutor - anyone in psychology of retail
  • understanding everyday life (book) - the street / economy - chapter 4
  • living and buying - impossible to separate
  • home and everyday life (book)
I was struggling to find theories because I was thinking it had to be philosophies like Freud of Marx or something. Now that I know it can be the theory of branding or advertising or marketing instead of philosophers it makes a lot more sense and I think my research will now expand to more appropriate material. 

I'm going to talk to people on interior design and email the tutor to find out if they know any appropriate people or books that are on the psychology of retail design. Richard agreed this would be a good action to take.

Richard said to look at a graduating graphic design students dissertation as hers was on Ikea.

http://lukebutcher.blogspot.co.uk/2011/02/hyperreality-of-trafford-centre.html
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Disney-Theme-Parks-Hyperreality-Consumerism/dp/3638815781
http://iaste.berkeley.edu/pdfs/20.2c-Spr09gillem-sml.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment