Monday 27 February 2012

Communication as Design: Lies


Top 10 Fibs Told By Men
  1. I didn’t have that much to drink.
  2. Nothing’s wrong, I’m fine.
  3. I had no signal.
  4. It wasn’t that expensive.
  5. I’m on my way.
  6. I’m stuck in traffic.
  7. No, your butt doesn’t look big in that.
  8. Sorry, I missed your call.
  9. You’ve lost weight.
  10. It’s what I’ve always wanted.
Top 10 Fibs Told By Women
  1. Nothing’s wrong, I’m fine.
  2. I don’t know where it is, I haven’t touched it.
  3. It wasn’t that expensive.
  4. I didn’t have that much to drink.
  5. I’ve got a headache.
  6. It was on sale.
  7. I’m on my way.
  8. Oh, I’ve had this for ages.
  9. No, I didn’t throw it away.
  10. It’s what I’ve always wanted.
http://www.thefrisky.com/2010-05-18/10-most-common-lies-men-and-women-tell/

Britain's most popular lie: 'sorry I had no mobile phone signal'

Britain's most popular lie has been disclosed, with one in four people admitting using "sorry I had no signal" when returning a missed mobile phone call, a survey found.

Woman on a mobile phone: Britain's most popular: 'sorry I had no mobile phone signal'
Women were better liars than men, the study found, with the most popular lie being 'sorry I had no signal'. Picture posed by a model. Photo: ALAMY
Researchers found the average Briton tells on average four lies every day or almost 1500 every year.
Almost one in six men admitted they were most likely to lie to their wife or girlfriend, on average at least twice a day.
The most popular lie was saying you had no mobile phone signal, with one in four people admitting regularly using the little white lie. It usually came after they hit the "ignore" button when their mobile rang.
One in three Britons have lied about their weight, a quarter fibbed about the amount of debt they are in and 30 per cent have bent the truth about the amount of exercise they do.
Kissing or spending the night with another person emerged as the worst lie to tell while one in five males admitted to lying to their girlfriend to go to the pub or watch sport.
Almost a quarter of blokes have told their partner they look good in an outfit, despite thinking the opposite.
More than a fifth have even lied about flirting with another woman.
More than 40 per cent of women owned up to lying about how much new clothes actually cost while 30 per cent have fibbed about how much they've had to drink.
Three quarters of people think women are better liars. The research found 46 per cent of girls have been caught lying, compared to 58 of men.
The second most common fib is ''I haven't got any cash on me'' when asked for money by tramps, beggars and Big Issue sellers.
''Nothing's wrong – I'm fine'' came third followed by ''You look lovely'' and ''Nice to see you''.
Modern technology emerged as the instigator of many lies with ''I didn't get your text'' in 18th, ''Our server was down'' in 20th and ''My battery died'' in 26th place.
Other lies to make the top ten included ''I'll give you a ring'', ''We're just good friends'' and ''We'll have to meet up soon''.
''I'm on my way'' and ''No, your bum doesn't look big in that'' completed the top ten.
Men who tell the most fibs, coming out with five every day compared who women who lie just three times.
A spokesman for OnePoll, which carried out the research of 4,300 adults, said: "As a nation we are obsessed with trying to be nice and not upsetting people.
"Often little white lies can paper over what we actually want to say.
"Most of these were considered either completely harmless or tactically necessary depending on the situation in which they are delivered."
He added: "It was sad to see a string of compliments in the top 50, but once again in many cases perhaps it is better to flatter with a fib than destroy someone with the truth."
TOP 50 MOST COMMON LIES
1. I had no signal
2. I haven't got any cash on me
3. Nothing's wrong – I'm fine
4. You look lovely
5. Nice to see you
6. I'll give you a ring
7. We're just good friends
8. We'll have to meet up soon
9. I'm on my way
10. No, your bum doesn't look big in that
11. Sorry, I missed your call
12. I'll give up tomorrow
13. I'm not angry with you
14. The traffic was bad
15. I've had this for ages
16. It wasn't that expensive
17. This will be my last pint
18. I didn't get your text
19. Of course I love you
20. Our server was down
21. I wasn't driving that fast
22. My alarm didn't go off
23. The cheque is in the post
24. You're looking well
25. I'd love to see you again
26. My battery died
27. It's not you, it's me
28. The train was delayed
29. I only have a little flutter
30. I'm going to the gym tonight
31. I don't eat too much – I have a slow metabolism
32. My watch stopped
33. No, I'm afraid I haven't got a spare five minutes
34. I've got a call on the other line
35. I'll phone you back in a minute
36. I've got a terrible cold
37. This tastes delicious
38. I didn't have that much to drink
39. I've been in meetings all day
40. I stayed in and had a quiet one
41. It was THIS BIG
42. I'm working late tonight
43. I bought the last one
44. I'm not ready for a relationship
45. It's just what I've always wanted
46. I'm going to have one more for the road
47. I wrote your number down incorrectly
48. You look like you've lost weight
49. My car wouldn't start
50. I didn't realise you fancied him/ her too
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/7544151/Britains-most-popular-lie-sorry-I-had-no-mobile-phone-signal.html



No comments:

Post a Comment