Monday 13 May 2013

Context of Practice: Production of Publication

I went to vernon street and did my first japanese bind. I started off by trimming down every page to B5 format and then drilled holes in four places in the margin I left for adequate spacing. I then threaded binding string through this is a specific way. I wanted red string but unfortunately they don't stock any anymore. 

I decided to Japanese binding for obvious reason of the brand being Japanese. For a first attempt the binding actually came out ok however the production to getting this point came with struggles. 

It was extremely hard to trim down the paper accurately and due to the binding technique I could only trim along one edge at the completion of it being bound. I also snapped a drill whist drilling which then got stuck in the pages and the guillotine trapped my pages and marked the cover.

Although it was a massive struggle due to the amount of pages I am partly pleased with the result as it actually holds it all together.


The pages opened out nicely even though there was a tight bind.

I then made a sleeve for my book to slot into so it was like a professional editorial look book/catalog.



I cut out a rectangle to reveal the name of the brand in the 'english' translation. This makes the cover bland to represent that it's not something new and exciting and also applies the atheistic of professional editorial pieces that use a lot of white space and small text phrases.


The user slides the publication out using the thumb space as an indication. The sleeve is used to reveal the look book in notion of it revealing something new like unwrapping something.


Front cover (slightly beaten)

Here are a few examples of the printed pages of the publication.




The Foldout:

The foldout also had a few problems due to it being printed to size on a larger scale piece of paper and the other pages being printed on a smaller scale and trimmed down.



Folded out - the purpose of the fold out is to represent the repetition of the same product just being mass produced in various colours and it being displayed as something different. The way the fold out unravels implies the notion of this as it keeps parts hidden as it unfolds so the user thinks something different will come next but it doesn't. Also I chose images with the same models being used with similar poses to enhance this notion of the same thing like spot the difference.


Opposite side - I used part of the phrase used in Barbara Kruger's Selfridges campaign and the pop art pattern I had used throughout to hide the text in the pattern. So the shadow of the text outline the letters to make it legible to read but still hidden. The idea of this was that the true theory in this brand and publication is hidden and so is the manipulation of consumers in the promotion and advertising of products.

No comments:

Post a Comment